R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Anyone heard of pinching cylinders
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 07:38 PM
chunk t
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bjr48
I recently heard about the 10 second test. Up until now I always ran them until they wouldn't stay running, pull the piston/sleeve and find out for sure that they were done for The see how far the piston will push through the sleeve test.

I'll keep these two tests in mind to try and take care of my new engine better. I have had one sleeve pinched and it worked OK but the sleeve wouldn't easily go back into the engine That can't be good. I'd try it again though. $20 vs. $100 is worth the chance that it works out instead of buying new.
I have a test that I've used over the years. When the crank can be turned over TDC with little resistance w/ the plug removed, I'll add a drop or two of after-run oil and reinstall the plug. Then I'll turn the crank over by hand all the way up and past TDC but not far enough to expose the exhaust port. I'll rock the crank back and forth from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock and back for a total of 10 compressions. If I can still feel pressure as I pass TDC @ compression 6 or higher; I judge the P/S fit to still be good. If compression is lost by 4 or less the fit needs to be corrected. If I can only get 1 or 2 cycles in, I call it DOA and replace the P&S.

by the way I do this test on a cold engine.

but... we each have our own ways to judge what is good and bad.

chunk