R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec tires for 1/12th?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Much good debate here. My 2 cents...

No, not spec tyres in 12th. I can't think of any electric class I've driven where having the wrong tyres is the key ingredient to a crap day at the races. Yes, control tyres work in TC because there are tyres that do the job on surfaces that have quite common levels of grip, using cars that can be tuned extensively to make the tyre work.

Having the wrong tyres in 12th is a situation that often can't be tuned around, and where the carpet types, additive used and level of grip go way beyond what can be tuned through the chassis.

This doesn't appear to be the case in WGT, where the Jaco control tyres allied to a relatively benign chassis make for a great drive, almost whatever the track surface.

IMHO, if you want low cost, the fun and simplicity of a pan car, and controls on tyres and motors, then WGt is the class. If you want a challenge, and have to spend (a little) more to get it, then 12th is the class. To put control tyres in 12th would be like sticking a set of sedan tyres on a Ferrari and expecting someone to enjoy the drive!