R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Selling modded motors? Think again!
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2003, 11:17 AM
modellor
Tech Master

Originally posted by patelladragger
If you have limited powers of comprehension maybe it doesn't make sense. If you are even moderately perceptive you would see the situations are very similar. It was agreed that no one could "copy" the designs of a modifier exactly - people could take general ideas and then extend upon them, which was done. And then sold. I for one don't think novarossi's approach is any more legit than the modifier who threatened to to sue was. RB posted on their website their strategy is to just keep producing fast engines and not get involved in who was trying to mimic them (paraphrase). It just seems ironic to me the same people bashing novarossi now were solidly behind small-time modifiers threatening to sue others for doing essentially the same thing...taking someone else's product, improving/changing it, then selling it under your own brand for profit.
My powers of comprehension are not limited well and I too think you case is not completely related or linked to this case. Regarding the other incident with a modifier suing - this was justifiable in that he was copyrighting work he had invented and people were copying it cut for cut. This would warrant prosecution for theft of someone elses work and would stand in court. But if someone else used that persons work and altered it then there would be no grounds for prosecution which is the case here with Novarossi.

Novarossi are saying you are not allowed to modify their engines at all. They cant stop people doing this as they are not copying thier work and producing a brand new engine. They are taking the engine and making it better. To add further, I have yet to see any modifier sell a Novarossi brand engine that has been altered under their own name apart from JP who as was mentioned has an agreement with Novarossi to do so.

Sorry Patella,

But your view here is really not warranted at all.