R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - LIPO rating system. Time for xtreme rc to do a lipo shoot out.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
DerekB
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
I'm not sure how much your Dyno costs but equipment to test packs at 200 amps is going to cost a minimum of 2000.00

If you really want to this test and make it a true one you should contact manufacturers and tell them you want to do this test and it will be accurate. if they want to be listed in this test they need to send 200 bucks. This would help cover the expenses of the equipment and pack purchases. Companies who don't participate would most likely have something to hide as 200 is a small fee to get such exposure.

Why you shouldn't accept packs directly from the manufacturers is because they can easily send you a higher C rate pack that would prove what there selling is legit. Trust me there is allot false claims going on in the Lipo world.

In a few weeks I will have a new setup that will allow me to test up to 2000 watts which means I can do 250 amps on a 2S pack.
Our dyno is available to purchase for $6500, not that price has much to do with anything.

I'm questioning how they are going to send me a battery with a C rating they don't sell? I've gotten lots of "problems" from companies that get accused of this all the time.

I know there's lots of "creative marketing" going on in NIMH, LIPO, 9Volt, speed, power everything....we try to clarify things we can accurately. Nitro Engine HP was tackled, we have a $2500 radar gun to give speeds (which rarely meet the stated MPH claim...and I've gotten angry emails from companies about that and telling me I needed a 1/4 mile of run up before I get my topspeed).

But the bottom line is I'm interested in doing something on LIPO I'm just not 100% sure of what that data will show. Much like NIMH with 4 different companies and power delivery characteristics...does the battery that gives the most power win? Or the one that doesn't become a paper weight in 4 runs a better choice?

It's not a cut and dry answer.