R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
My son uses a HPI Pro 2, and the ORION 2400, 3200, 3400 style batteries fit just fine. The Yeah Racing 3200 also fits just fine.

With ours since we harly ever take the pack out of the car, he has the spektrum receiver mounted to the top of the battery. (We wrap our antenna wire around a 2" tall by 3/4" wide piece of lexan and fasten that to the receiver w/ double sided tape)
Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I've bought an Orion 2400 lipo ($35 Tower Hobbies) to try in my VTA car (and Mini-Cooper).
Originally Posted by liljohn1064
I love those Yeah 3200s. I call them my Chea-Pos.
Originally Posted by Ray Murray
Thanks Joe! How are you mounting the battery to the chassis??? Since I plan to do NOTHING to it on race days (yanno, busy running the races and all) can it be shoo-gooed to the chassis???
It is probably worth noting that the USVTA rules DO specify ROAR-approved LiPo batteries for those who use "Lithium technology" batteries. As far as I can tell, neither the Orion 2400 nor the Yeah Racing 3200 are ROAR approved. I just referred to the list on the ROAR site at http://www.roarracing.com/approvals/lipobattery.php

ALSO...for those advocating more or less permanent mountings for your batteries...ROAR also mandates charging batteries in a containment device should a "rapid disassembly" event take place. If your containment device is large enough to accomodate your car you're golden. If your track allows charging LiPos outside a containment device that's their business, but be aware that many tracks do not (ROAR-insured tracks can't, in fact). My own opinion is that USVTA should follow ROAR's lead on this point...we require ROAR-approved batteries, let's also require ROAR-approved charging procedures (including max voltage, etc).