R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What class should be cut?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Bob-Stormer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PartTime
What is it that a professional sponsored driver gets? Equipment that you cant buy. Setup and technical advise you have no clue about. Daddy is not a sponsor.
Mind you, just a fun debate.

What makes you feel that everything the pro's get is better? I was sponsored for a while as a youngster. I was flown to a race by a company to promote their tires. They sucked, but I made the best of it, and did what I was supposed to do. But it would have been easier with a different brand (the brand that was winning at the time).. Pro's are pro's because they can make it work. Sometimes it's harder, but they can make it happen.

Every team is busting their humps on forums just like this one handing out free information to anybody interested. If you walk up to somebody like Burch at a race, he will gladly hand you his exact setup. He wants you to be successful, and frankly companys need to see cars (their cars) finish as high as possible.

It's good business to have LOTS of your cars finish high up. That guy in the "G" main is gonna come on a forum like this and RAVE about the setup he got off of Burch and how it was the BEST driving car ever. People don't care if Burch is fast. People only care that THEY are fast. And that's fair and reasonable.

I will debate that parents "are a sponsor" deal to the bitter end. Most factory drivers don't get as good a deal as kids get from their folks.

Originally Posted by PartTime
There is no way he would win a major race with your car. The pro's have there cars perfectly setup and dialed in for them. Sure they would beat most guys but they couldnt compeat at the highest level with it. You would probly be still stuck in 40th though.
Probably not with my setup on it. Their gonna look at it, find all the things I missed, and kick ass with it. BUT even with my setup (or yours), most good drivers can drop .2-.3 off per lap with your car, as is, over you driving it. I've seen it done many times.... and it irritates me EVERY SINGLE TIME... ...lol...

Originally Posted by stiltskin
I really like the way you think, Bob. You always have an amusing way of looking at things. (no sarcasm intended)
I appreciate that you see the humor in it. I'm advised to not post on the forums. But I do it anyway.

Here's one for you. If the class is not offered at the national level, then technically it IS the least entered class.
I guess my point was that we keep adding these "less expensive, more fun" classes and immediately think that we need to name a national champion for them. They seem to be fads of the hobby and only dilute the established programs. The Novak race took a big step last year and only allowed brushless motors. There were alot of people that said it wouldn't work, but it did. People will adapt to what they are offered rather than trying to offer everything and further feed the problem.
I think it's natural to add a class and then "throw a big event" for it. It's fun, you're interested, why not? It's fun to try different things. It would be boring if we didn't. Just like TV, my favorite shows change all the time as my tastes and interests change.

BTW, I will change my name to "stiltskin-stormer" if you want to throw a few free cars and parts my way.
Excellent idea.

Originally Posted by vazzo
mini should be cut
<---slaps Vazzo for removing the funnest class EVER.