R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Sponsored racers/Equipment at club meetings- Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:35 AM
theDr
Suspended

Originally Posted by tc3team
Sponsored guys can get a bad name to for constantly winning simply because they have the equipment- but what about the guys with deep pockets?
Ah, you bring up a good point.
Years ago at one track I ran at we had a "box stock" class that was supposed to be for the new guys, but there were a couple that got tired of getting beat up on in one of the mod classes that decided to drop down to stock again.
Each week either one or the other of them won, all finished on the podium, and took the trophies home. Acting like bigshots because they were beating rookies each week, yet putting up their thousand dollar cars (deep pockets) against the new guys with truely box stock racers.
A few of us kept talking about it, and getting tired of their bragging, kept saying we could win the box class running a box car. So I took it to the extreme one week and fashioned a corruguted cardboard box shell for my full out racer, and entered. And won handlily.

The next week "box stock" was back to the guys that should have been running, and the "deep pocket" chaps had moved up to one of the mod classes where they should have been running.