R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Major races would fewer be better?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

when I started going to Cleveland (over 20 years ago), it was really the only big 'hotel' race that attracted people from all across the country and a few from europe and asia. It was great and I've been loving it ever since. In the glory days, ther were only two classes....1/12th stock and 1/12th modified. Stock had something like 200+ entrys and mod had more like 75 or more (if my memory serves me correctly). Those early Cleveland races pretty much established the winner as the best guy in the country for any given year. Then along came Snowbirds, and Vegas, and sedans, and masters, and rubber tires, and 19 turn motors, and VTA, and now World Gt. All of these have diluted the meaning of being the champion of the US Indoor Champs and also the meaning of just making it into the A main. It's my opinion that this dilution of the competition (too many classes and too many big travel races) has made all of the racing at all of the events less meaningful and thus perhaps less of a draw for the participants. While it's probably not reasonable to revert to just one big national "hotel" race per year, it might be worth considering a reduction of classes. Perhaps just stock 1/12th, modified 1/12th and stock plus mod of any single type of 10th car would be sufficient. That would be my suggestion for bringing back the glory of winning such a huge event.