R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to determine lifespan of commutator
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Tpg racer
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by tc3team
I have used one motor right down until the metal came off the comm as I cut it

I don't reccomend it though, I was lucky not to damage my cutting bit

Anyone remember the stock 36deg race prep motors back in their day? H cut brushes, sealed can but kept going for ages!

To a certain degree, the lifespan depends on how often you are cutting the comm and how hard it's being worked.

From new i've had a stock motor last about 6 months, but I couldn't tell you how many minutes use the motor had seen in total.
I'm not particularly keen on knowing how long a motor will last as it depends on how much we use them... the matter now is, is there an indication that the motor is at the end of its lifespan?

Like those post up there that states the diameter of the comm reduces up to a certain sizes... I can definitely use that indication as a guide to my motor's lifespan...

But is there other kind of indication ? Is it possible to use the indication of the gap in between every comm section ? I've read somewhere that if the gap between the 3 comm section is no longer visible, that shows that the motor is no longer able to be use as the diameter of the comm has finished... is this true ?