R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RC8 Factory Team vs MBX 6 need some feedback
Old 11-29-2008, 12:02 AM
robbdny
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)
Default words

Butchman,
I can relate to what you wrote most of all, the losi wear problems driving me crazy and repairs not seeming to help ect!!! In my mind while working on my Losi I am thinking to myself why am I going through all of this trouble with micro adjustments when there is so much slop in the front end. When I opened the box on the RC8 and saw the service pack packed with the car I asked myself the same question why didnt they take the time to send the kits out with the service update done? What I have heard alot of in this thread is the premature wearing in the front end. That drove me crazy with my 8ight.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by butch man
I owned the old losi & hated it,I like to drive around corners & couldnt get used to the losi driving style or the wear even though I was getting past by them. The wear issue was mostly in my mind though as the losi truck I had would wear even faster than my buggy but when I gave up replacing parts & fixed all the problems the losi came with it seemed to make no difference how worn it got it still drove the same(good).It just bugged me how fast it wore is all. I also had the RC8 & liked a lot of their designs but that car just sucked for me.It would not go through rough stuff without kicking & bucking.RC8 would also develope extreame wear in the front end very fast,those little bushings that were a great idea on paper were poorly executed but the front I didnt have driving issues with it worked good enough for me.The main problem with the RC8 was the shocks were absolute junk & I dont know what the exact problem with the rear suspention geometry was but theres something very wrong there. I can ony assume that since a couple factory AE guys are using the truck rear tower & have tried evrything they can think of with the shocks(look at their setup sheets for the evolution of shock mods or read their forum for the crazy things they tried)& just gave up & went bigbore it has to be a combination of the 2. I used the shocks off my old mugen & noticed an imediate improvement but some thing still wasnt right.I also used the fuel tank from my mugen just so the car would run consistantly. The biggest remark on the RC8 would be in the short time youve been racing how many people have you seen give up on the RC8 at your track? I know of 6 or 8 where I race that have said no more. As for durability AE would not be the best. 1/2 the guys that switched did so because they would DNF almost every week,mostly front end , shock , tank problems. It seems to me most of the problems can be overcome like the losi issues were. I just dont under stand why someone would start with a car that has to be fixed before you can use it,why not start with a car that has the least amount of problems to begin with. I drive the 808 but have driven my buddys MBX6 & with the way our cars were setup(personal taste) mine had a more planted rear end,other than that they drove the exact same & wear the same.I have heard of front upper hinge pin issues with the new mugen but not exactly sure what they are cuz nobody at my track has broken their car that I know of. I under stand the RC8 is cheaper but hyundai is cheaper than porsche too & I think you know the difference there. Not to beat a dead horse as I understand how tempting it is to go with the car that your 2 buddys can give you pointers for & setup help with & that can be very helpful but if they both help you polish a turd your still gonna end up with a very shiny turd & then move on to a different car 6 month from now after spending all the money you did.