R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Rustler VXL gearing
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM
xaiceman
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler VXL gearing

I am only a few months into rc and have spent many hours in my local rc shops, tracks and online trying to research and get educated, but still consider myself a noob to all of this stuff. A little history and my current specs. I have changed out my Rustler tires to the Stampede tires currently running 25/86 gearing with a Venom 3s lipo. The only other upgrades that I have are integy shocks, traxxas aluminum castor and steering blocks, and rpm front/rear arms. My question is that my temps seem to be really high 160-170 on the motor and a couple of degrees cooler on the esc. My thinking was that I would gear my truck the same as the Stampede (7 cell NIMH) since the tires are bigger and heavier. I am not looking to go 70mhp, but would rather an all around good gearing for a little bashing and fun with my kids. Me and my son have been racing a little at our local indoor carpet track on foams, although I run a 19t brushed and modest gearing for better control as recommended by one of the local techs. I have attached a link to the chart for the stampede. The recommended gearing for the Rustler with 3s lipo is 31/76. The motor was swapped out by traxxas due to high temps running stock tires and gearing, so I do not suspect a bad motor. If anyone else has seen anything like this or has a recommendations, the help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...peed_chart.jpg