R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Roland S
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bs6ef
Well after testing my new 380 brushless setup with lipo 7.4v cells i have come to a decision that it would not be the way forward for the 12scale, it was a great idea but just not practicle to implement.

Pro's
Minimum tyre wear
Less breakage due to light weight car (not that i hit anything)
ermmm thats it

Con's
New cells
new motor
new esc
new tyres (softer tyres)
new charger/balancer
less controllable (grip roll for the first time ever)
new setup

This all takes time and money which most drivers don't have.

After speaking to a few guys at the track they are all convinced that eventually we will go to 3.7v lipo, but not for a couple of years until they can get the run time in mod out of these packs which i am sure will not happen for a least two years and by then who knows we might even have a practicle option with the A123 cells.

Steve
Steve:

I hope you don’t mind me arguing with some of invalid points, I think, you made in your Con’s section.

1> New cells? It’s the same two cells you put them in serial or in parallel.
2> New motor? This is the only valid point you make, but it costs only $20.
3> New esc? If you don’t have a b’less esc, you need to buy one any way. If you already have one, you can use it regardless which type you have as I point it out in my post #252.
4> New tyres (softer tyres)? Of course you will need the softer tire, if you’re overpowering the chassis by using the 380size motor, not the 2030size I motor I recommend. I can run my car with magenta without any problem.
5> New charger/balancer? The battery I recommended and SMC battery have the same balancing tap. If you don’t have a lipo charger, of course you’ll need a new charger. If you already have a lipo charger that has a different balancing tap, then you will need a new charger if you can not find a balancing tap convert that suit your need, and that’s true to either battery you choose, so this point of yours is invalid, to me. If you would go to this website: http://www.maxamps.com and choose any lipo battery pack, you would need to make a selection, some with extra charge, in plug type. Wire size and, yes, balancing tap. There are 5 types of balancing taps available on this website and there may be more out there that I don’t know.
6> Less controllable (grip roll for the first time ever)? New setup? Well, you should have look at it as a completely new/different car and treat it as such. After all it’s a car that weights almost 2/3 of its original weight.

YGPM