R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - what has losi become....
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 11:50 AM
JamesnMeyer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RTR are a great thing and have helped bring new people into the hobby. Who are these people? Their single moms that come by the track and want to get their kids involved. Their grand parents who want something to do with their grandkids, and they are people who want to give it a try with out forking out big cash.

I know at our track it has been a big help and has brought many into the hobby. RTR's have a place and it is budget minded people who want to try something different. It has nothing to do with wal-mart or laziness.
A kit cost almost as much as some RTR and on top of that you still need a radio, motor, and speed control and now that just doubled the RTR price. Because of course if your going to "Do it right" why buy a cheap radio and speed controller? The point is RTR's have a very important place in this hobby and are what makes money for these companies. I know people who race very competitively with their RTR's.

Originally Posted by cherokee
I hope this does not get nasty...but here it goes.

Times where different even as close as 10years ago, to put stuff in big bags we are a nation of consumers, we don't want to build anything anymore, we want it and we want it now and when it stops working we toss it in the trash and buy another one. Some have called this the Wallmart Syndrome, and feel it is part of what is wrong with this country.

Don't get me wrong there is a need for a RTR, but who over the age of 10 can't build a kit? "It gets people who did not have the ability to build a full on race kit..." Who are these people?

I guess I come from a different generation...one where you built things, everything from Heath kits to RC cars. Making it was part of the fun, and when it did not work just right you knew how to fix it.