R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 10:48 PM
JLock
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

BiggDogg33,

Dude, calm down. To give you a brief history, yes, the OFNA Ultra GTP and DM-One were out long before the IGT (I believe about 2-4yrs on the Ultra GTP and at least 2 for the 1/7th scale DM-One). However, there was very little organized racing with these cars when they came out. I know that a few West Coast guys tried to push this bigger-scale racing class but it never really caught on there or anywhere else. Now, Kyosho comes along with their version of the Ultra GTP and a couple of people work to get the Kyosho car into an organized racing program (RC Pro and Jspeed). Everyone is soon surprised that this class featuring the Kyosho car is now taking off like wildfire. From what I understand, Jspeed tried to get OFNA and any other manufacturer of this class/scale of car to hop on board but they chose to pass. Now that the class is growing by leaps and bounds, now everyone wants to jump in and get a piece of the pie. But, the others that want to join in also want to throw out the rules so that they run whatever they want. Again, if you make this a "money" class like Lola-bodied 1/8th scale and now 200mm, you will kill this class (just ask the 235mm racers that watched the class die because of the "money" war).

I am speaking as a hobbiest/club racer that want to have fun while enjoying my "toy" car. I am not sponsored by Kyosho, Mugen, or any other manufacturer of car kits, tires, engines, or radio gear. However, I would like to see new racers come into the racing scene as well as bringing some folks back that gave up on racing due to the "money" war that may have made some to quit. When I saw the first Kyosho IGT run at Bvoltz' Bass Pro Series race, I wanted in. So, I asked Bvoltz on whether he would allow the OFNA or any other IGT-type car into his series. He told me the rules are set based upon the Kyosho IGT so I would have to get the IGT or not compete at all (no OFNA cars allowed). So, since I wanted to run, I got with the program and got a Kyosho IGT car. Instead of bucking the rules and trying to push an agenda, I followed the rules set forth, bought the equipment that fit those rules, and have been having fun ever since running this class. It is not about being scare of competition, it is about following the rules as they are set forth. If you wanted to race in the HPI Challenge series races, you have to have a HPI or Hot Bodies car or you can't compete, plain and simple. You can try to come in with your Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, etc to compete and they will tell you to take a hike. When ROAR establish a class for these cars, then you can compete with whatever car you decide with whatever hop-ups that ROAR will allow.