R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - brushed vs brushless
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Trips
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cherokee
One thing about this hobby is people think they need what (insert famous guy) ran at the worlds to run at a club level....they don't.
Amen. best choice for 99.9% of us is to get what is best supported at the local track... Who cares if (insert famous name here_ won the last world championship with soemthing if I break it in the first round and have to end my day because I can't get the part for a week...

There will always be guys that spend the big bucks to have the latest stuff and they usually do pretty well...the reason they do well is because they are there every practice, every race, are cleaning and spend time cleaning and going over their car every event....that is why they do well not because they have the latest stuff. Not any different if you want to play the guitar well or race a toy car, it is all the same.
Amen again. Time and money spent practicing and testing will nearly always give the most return.

You don't need a lathe and if your comm gets to the point after a few seasons on it where it needs to be trued up just toss it and buy another $30 motor...if you have an out of round comm you are having other problems in setting up your brushed motor. A nice polish will do the job 99% of the time, and you can do that with $5 worth of stuff. Brushes are cheap at $4 per set and will last quite a while.
Gotta disagree here... If you're not truing your comm at least every race day you're not gonna be competitive, even at the club level. In mod classes, more like every single run.

I'm definitely enjoying brushless racing, but for 1/12 I'll still run brushed. I just happen to think all those wires just look fugly in a 1/12 car, and the weight penalty in 1/12 isn't worth it to me.