R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - newbie whats the best brushless system for top speed runs
Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM
pyro18t
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At 80mph speeds I think your going to need a high down force body, and some serious skills. I hope you know it's not "only looking to do around 80 mph" it's HOLY COW I HIT 80MPH! just a few years ago people were having a hard time hitting 100mph on 24.0v+ systems. I understand brushless was just coming around back then, but to hit 80mph is no small feat in a TC.

A few mods I would think we help... lock your diffs, if do move to the Evo III set up I would tape up any holes in the bottom of the chassis, to prevent any air get up in there and lifting your car making loose traction. Also I'm not sure if going as light as possible will work out for the best. At those speeds you need a ton of traction, and the extra weight will help. Most of the time it's crazy gearing and crazy power that will get you to crazy speeds

Take a look at RC Car Actions speed challenge for some of the things that those guys did. I know a couple of people had their cars "fly" of the track they were going so fast. I'm sure someone on here is going to throw in the whole Traxxas Rustler VXL going 70+. RCCA did a review to see if it really would go 70+. They had to gear it to the moon, change parts, and throw in a HUGE 3s lipo and I think it only got up to 68MPH IIRC.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out

Jay