R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
British Menace
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by freestyles
I'm going to risk sounding dumb but how do you bleed shocks and make sure they have the right rebound so as the right side is the same as the left side. I want to make sure my shocks are the same so i can rule them out for my handling issues. Thanks
Ok. Here you go ... and it's not a dumb question.
An important point here is to use the same method on each shock. Different people like to have differing amounts of rebound. But you should have the same rebound on any one car. If you see what I mean.

Once the shocks are clean.
Fill with selected oil to about 4mm from the top of the shock body.
Pump the piston up and down slowly a few times to get air from under the piston. Then re-fill.
Then sit the body in a stand and let it sit for 10 minutes.
Put the bladder in the shock top and put 'a little' amount of oil on the threads.
Push the piston up into the body 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up. I place mine about 3/4 of the way up. Refill shock to about 3mm from the top.
Place the top on the body and 'start to screw on. As soon as you feel the top start on the threads, tilt the shock to 45 degrees, with the bleed hole on the top facing upwards. This will help get rid of the air inside, and turn the body onto the top.
Be careful not to overtighten. This will distort the bladder inside.

If you manage to do each shock the same. You should end up with the same amount of rebound.

I look for about 5 to 10mm rebound. Or at least they should return quite slowly.
The important thing is that all the shocks rebound the same.
Avoid having shocks that rebound imediately or fast. This will give poor handling. Or at least, not as good as it could be!!

There is a knack in assembling shocks and you need to get into a rythem to get them all the same.

If they rebound too fast,
You didn't push the piston up far enough and you have either too much oil or air in the shock. Try again.

If they don't rebound at all or when fully extended, the piston tries to go back into the shock body. You don't have enough oil in the shock or you pushed the piston up too far.

You can have very little rebound if you like........
just endevour to do all the shocks the same!! This is the most important thing !!!

Best of luck.

British Menace

P.S: By the way. If you have the older shocks which do not have a bleed hole in the top. I strongly suggest making them by drilling a hole (1 - 2mm Hole) in the shock top. Quite close to the edge. (So as you can still see the hole when you place the bladder in the top )