View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 AM
SavageChick
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobWoodhouse
I posted info about outbackRc over on nitroKillers:

http://www.nitrokillers.com/showthre...ed=1#post10932

I thought it was an interesting question, and I have wondered if outback gives any weird feelings to folks due to the free admission, such as it must not be a real track, or maybe it won't last long enough to be worth visiting. Here was the question and my response. Let me know your take.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now the cat's out of the bag. Off to a new town now.

No, just kidding.

Here is the idea. If I rented a commercial building, started a store and a race track; I might not break even, I might go out of business, I might end up loosing $x,xxx.
So, instead of doing all that work, I plan for about $2,000 per year to put into the track. It is really no more expensive than other hobbiest's approach -- instead of having several rides with cool stuff, I have a couple older used rides, plus a track.

In 2007, I bought a tiller attachment for my tractor ($800 used (it's aDeere)) and a couple/few hundred feet of pipe ($75) and some roundup.

In 2008, I bought a timing system ($500+), scoring bridge ($50), drivers' stand ($400), more pipe ($75), rock salt ($25), 3/4" hose ($100), better extension cords ($90), a used pop-up camper (to be 2009 scoring booth) ($500).

Next in line is a Commercial hose reel (I get worn out reel up that hose in my arms)($250), Extra drivers' stand section ($100), more iLap transponders ($300), full racing software for scoring ($250), more pipe ($75), occasional bobcat/dingo help from neighbors or rental store ($xxx), and porta-potty rental/purchase/service.

Bob I think its great that you offer your race for no fees, if people are worried about it you can always tell them they can provide a donation, or help work on it. Just a thought. Keep up the great work!