R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What do you REALLY think about Blue Thunder "RACE" Formula..
Old 09-10-2003, 11:39 AM
stefan
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JeffS
I have been a big fan of BT Race in the past because it contains castor, which helps out on those extra lean runs. Recently, my local shop expressed some resistance to ordering some in 20% Nitro level (for some reaon, they stock plenty of 30%) so I decided to try something else.

Picked up a bottle of O'Donnell 20%, added 1 ounce of degummed castor to the bottle, shook very well and then tried it out in an engine (MT-12) tuned on BT Race, running around 200 degrees F (still running the new MT-12 a little rich).

Results:

At the same settings as the BT Race, the engine ran 190 degrees F. I leaned the LSN in 1/8th of a turn and got the temps right up to 200 degrees.

The engine had better power than it did on BT Race and I still had the extra insurance of a little bit of castor oil in the mix.

Overall, I'm pleased that this worked out, since it means I don't have to blend my own fuel and O'Donnell is pretty much readily available at all the shops and tracks I frequent, so I'll never have trouble tracking down fuel.

Don't misunderstand me, I like BT Race, but it is definitely down on power to O'Donnell, even O'Donnell with castor added.

-Jeff
Jeff, where do you buy degummed castor oil?
Thx