R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 AM
padailey
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
OK, here's another powertrain question -- don't worry, I'm not asking for any changes to the rules! Quite the opposite, actually, as I am working towards compliance.

As you may know, VTA is in its infancy out here on the left coast. Almost nobody in socal runs it. I was part of a movement to get it going in our local club, and we're up to a dozen cars or so, SORT OF.

We're running USVTA rules with the exception of powertrain. We started with 6-cell/Johnson silver cans to get going on the cheap and gauge interest. Well, the interest is there, and in order to spread the class regionally I want to stick to the official USVTA rules.

So here's the big question:

We're running silver cans with 5.7-6.0 FDR, which equates to a great speed for our particular track. How will this compare to the pace of an official USVTA car? It would be a dream if we could run a mix of USVTA and our silver can spec while people made the transition, or, even better, if USVTA were just a little faster so there would be that incentive to convert.

I know there are other tracks out there running the silver can pseudo-USVTA -- has anyone done a comparo?
Back when the gearing restriction was on the 17.5 (4.0 FDR) a few people ran lipo with a traxxas stinger motor. Those running that combo were at 6.0 - 6.2.... the 6.2 was pretty close. With the increased speed now my guess would be about a 5.7 - 5.8 would be right there. I know the motor is slightly different but thats the best I can do.