R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 11:36 PM
caltek1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

We have found that using the BL HobbyWing/Ezyrun 3000KV system there is no difference in top end from a NiMH car to a Lipo powered car.

I use both NiMH,(MO3L with 4200 NiMH 1540 gms) and Yeah Racing Lipo,(Lipo with lead ballast added total weight 1501 gms) to be good for my driving style.

I have only used the Lipo and NiMH with a sport tuned car, at one racing event on carpet and my opinion was that the NiMH had more punch from the start and higher speed. I did not really compare the lap times as at the time it was the finals and I was only concerned with finishing results.

The heavier weight seems to make the mini more planted on the track and less prone to wheel spin, when you grab a hand full of throttle.

edwintklee,

We only run sport tuned motors in our Mini's or the BL system when allowed. I am not that happy with the sport tuned motors now days due to the performance differences and there tendancies to die when you make the finals. I have had two die in one weekend's worth of racing. Leaving me to borrow a motor to finish the event.

So I fully support the current push within eastern australia to get the BL system approved for mini racing.

Not sure what ride height you are running, however the front of my Mini is at 3/4mm and the rear at 5/6mm Ride height.

I use a Futaba S3151 in one Mini and a Futaba S3050 in the other. Both are fitted with large Kimborough Servo savers trimmed down.

Later

Calvin.