R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - which engine?
Thread: which engine?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 08:09 PM
MattP
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
well if you're recommending .21's, what's the hot setups, v-spec's? i read somewhere that the regular v-spec has more power than the speed v-spec, what's your thoughts on this? also what's your opinions on the picco p7-r evo 3 buggy engine?
Vspecs are no doubt some great engines while they last........

It is well known that most(I'm sure I will get bashed for this)stock vspecs don't last very long until they have a bearing failure or just plain wear out. Lots of people are very content if they get 3-5 gallons out of one because they are such a great engine and they don't cost too much compared to some others. The engines have nice power and the OS carb is wonderful. They hold a tune forever.

Some say the stock vspec has more power than a speed because the speed is supposed to be a smoother version of a stock vspec with ceramic bearings. I have read that the timing on both engines is identical so technically the Speed shouldn't have an advantage in the power department.

Here again I don't know for sure because I've never seen a dyno chart between them both.....

If you do decide on a stock vspec I would suggest picking up at least a ceramic rear bearing for it since that seems to be the first thing to go on vspecs.

If your considering a Picco .21 just pick up a JPX 21 that is made by picco. It is basically the same as the old discontinued trinity drake 21's that were made by Picco. A nice strong 5 port italian mill that has more than enough power for a buggy or truggy.