R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The future of 1/12 scale
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2008, 12:16 PM
gijoe64
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
Balanced view, Slapmaster, thanks.

A piece of advice from a dedicated 12th racer (30 years) to those who want to change it - change your rhetoric. If you want people like me on board (dedicated 12th racer, fast-follower in most things new, early adopter in others, disposable income) then you have to stop telling me that there is something wrong with me for not immediately jumping on your bandwagon.

Words like stubborn, lost in the past, hating change, etc. just make me get on here and flame you. My Company works in a rapidly changing market, my role involves creating change, and the World around me is changing daily. My hobby, on the other hand, is relatively stable. I don't think I am unusual.

The big attraction of 12th is that it doesn't change. I don't have to be at all the big meetings making sure I know what the latest thing is, I don't have to worry about finding out what the latest thing does to my set-ups, etc. etc. My hobby is for fun, not for more hard work. If you want to make changes, for me, they are going to have to a lot easier than ripping everything out and replacing it all in one go.

And, it isn't that we don't promote and adopt change. Look here at what cars used to be like and tell me 12th hasn't changed. But look carefully and you find that each change came along slowly, and it didn't alienate half the drivers in one stroke. That's how 12th works, and has survived so long.

Big chunks of change don't suit everyone, and telling them they have some character flaw if they don't adopt some (badly thought through, in this case, as Slapmaster points out) radical change isn't your best marketing ploy. Sell to me by all means, but name-calling will make me hang up on you - and hundreds of others will do the same.
I totally agree!!! Let's not make this a mess, and did anyone done testing on how less weight will affect the handeling of a 1/12 scale car? Most importantly will a new guy to racing be able to handel a super light weight, super fast 1/12? I would like to see some testing on this, what happens if the car is just to twitchy to drive?