R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ceramic piston ?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
NCWC
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bernowt
There are many different types of ceramics!

"Ceramic" indicates a process, not a material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic
Thanks for posting a link to this information. In the link i found some compelling facts that suggest to me a ceramic piston wouldnt be such a good idea in the high speed, high load environment an aluminum piston endures. I would copy and paste some of the stuff but i dont want to choke up this thread and yall can read it for yourselves.
The article indicates ceramic materials are brittle many times. Please click on the link and read PROPERTIES OF CERAMICS: Mechanical properties. That right there tells me i wouldnt want a ceramic piston. Also there is more information in the link that shows Toyota developed a complete ceramic engine that was designed to run at 6000*F. Ceramic has many desireable locomotion properties Toyota found out but again strength was the limiting factor. Ceramic also has great thermal properties like a low thermal expansion rate, but that wouldnt be too good for a piston either. Chew on this, your ceramic piston engine gets to operating temperature. The cylinder expands as it gets hot but the piston dont. This would cause a high piston to cylinder wall clearance and the piston skirt would slap the hell out of the cylinder wall and shatter into pieces because it is very brittle. And im not tryin to be a peckerhead at all but in the link there are words in big black letters that says TYPES OF CERAMIC MATERIALS. So your statement is untrue.