R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - revo eating up the clutch shoes
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM
NCWC
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by smithjeeps
i dont understand the whole shimming thing. exactly what is it? how do i do it? how do i tell if its shimmed properly?.....
First i need to start off by saying i am not familiar with the design of your truck, so i might be wrong. This is how i shim my clutch bell. Go to your LHS and buy some clutchbell shims in various thicknesses as well as some new clutch bearings and maybe even a new CB (clutchbell) if you feel you need it.
Remove the engine from your truck. Remove the CB, bearings and all shims by removing the screw in the end of the crankshaft. Reassemble the CB and bearings but leave the shims out, tightin the screw snugly. Try to push the CB against the flywheel, if it touches remove the CB and add the thinnest shim you have over the crankshaft and slide the CB back on the crankshaft. Add one at a time until it just doesnt touch any more. DO NOT ADD MORE THAN IS NEEDED. Now put the screw back into the crankshaft and tighten it snugly. Wiggle the CB to see how much endplay (front to back motion) you have left. Again, add the thinnest shim you have between the outer CB bearing and the screw one at a time until you have about .250mm (1/4 of 1mm) endplay left.This takes a while but its the only way to do it. If there is something i left out or done wrong call me out so we can all learn from it.