R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Vinyl Cutters!
Thread: Vinyl Cutters!
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 09:15 AM
rj14
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chadlow21
Yes, I am using windows, and I shouldnt have 2 graphics on top of each other, all I do is open the artwork in Illustrator and trace and expand, then send to the cutter.
In AI if the artwork has an outline the trace will go over the body and then the outline. Thus if you do not look closely at the trace you will have 2 lines. AI can throw tricks at you when going to a plot situation. Most hardcore sign people will always take the AI file and wash it through Flexi or something like that. Especially if they are printing because the gradients esp. greys will band terribly and colorwise won't look right.

Also if you didnt create the AI file always open it and look at the layers. A lot of people will layer things to get a desired effect. Fine for printing on paper but murderous when plotting to vinyl. Its just like doing text, you must convert AI text to curves when plotting otherwise you will create even more problems for yourself.

It takes more time to double check you artwork....but it will save you $$$ in ruined material.

Last edited by rj14; 10-09-2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: added info