R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - your WTF moments in RC
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
jkas10
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 123 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dethklok151
yeah i "fixed"them with with some sheet metal screws!!!!
That's funny - Like something I would've done

My WTF moment was about two weeks after I got my first "real" rc car, a XXX NT and made it into an oval track EDM. Here is the intro: I used to race 1:1 scale sprint cars on a dirt oval. Then I had twins. Race car goes away and my house turns into a daycare facility. It's all good. A handful of years go by and I am driving to a small town near home and I see a hobby shop off of the highway with an offroad track and a dirt oval track behind it. Cool! I'll check it out. Sitting on the counter is a nitro sprint car! Whoa! That's cool!!!! I want one! How much are those? Oh, what else can I race on the dirt oval??? So I buy the XXX NT for the Eastern Dirt Modified class.

Three weeks later... I have TQ'd and won the main the first two weeks at my local track. I LOVE this sport and this Truck!!! I have since purchased a used nitro sprint car and I am having a blast running both classes.

It's Saturday evening and I am getting my stuff ready for Sunday racing. I fire up the sprint car and make a few trips around the driveway ensuring the tune is good and clutch is adjusted, etc. I then fire up the XXX NT and do the same. By now, a couple teenage boys have gathered at the end of the driveway to watch. They are pretty pumped! They want to see how fast it will go. I hesitate - for a split second - before agreeing to make a couple speed runs up the street. We lived in a country neighborhood with gravel roads. I made a simulated tight oval in the street. I made a couple passes and then came around the far corner, tires throwing rocks, and scream down the road. I am drifting toward the edge of the road. No problem, I'll get er back in the road before I get to the... Mail Box!!! A 4x4 post! That car stopped! Like right now! It didn't bounce backward. It didn't hit the corner of the post and go spinning off into the grass. No, it just stopped. Well, except for the front tires, shock tower, bulkhead, etc... they flew a good five to ten feet forward... My undefeated car lay in pieces the night before the race at the base of a 4x4 post...! WTF!!! So, I stripped the broken parts off, Threw everything in a box for proof of what an idiot I was, made a list and prayed that the LHS would have the pieces I would need when I got there the next morning. They did. I still have that truck!