R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi Clutch NIGHTMARE!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:11 AM
MonkeyWrench
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by motoclay
Hello guys,

I am new to R/C Nitro Arena Truck racing. I and my family (3) bought Losi RTR 8ight-T kits about 3 weeks ago and decided we were going to go racing. We had raced Nitro Boats for a few years back in the mid 90s so we thought we would give cars a shot. Here is our, mainly mine, biggest issue.

THE CLUTCH!!! This thing eats bearings, im talkin two heat races (10 min. total) and its DONE! I went to an Invite over the weekend, changed them 3-4 times?????? and on top of that it kills the shoes! I talked to a few guys out there, but they were so busy it was hard to get alot of info and how toos. By the end of the day i did learn that you could convert them. I have a Kyosho set up on it now, but the mesh is a little short, i was told that the quick change motor mount would allow me to move the motor foward some to fix it. I am just tired of not finishing races. I raced a total of Five times this weekend and did not finish but one qualifier.

I am not mechanically challenged either. I understand bearing clearance, spacing, mesh alignment, heat factors, things like this.

Does the Losi 4 shoe system really suck? I seen losi's out there today checkin them out, i know one is running the 4 shoe system with no issue. I would say its something on my truck, but the other two have had some similar issues. Any and all info whould be greatly appreciated here.

I am OK with changing clutch bearings every weekend, new for the race day, but 4 a day?? not so cool.

BTW, just FYI, if it matters, the trucks are running the Dynamite 427s.

Thanx in advance!

1. If you have had bearing failures with the same clutch bell multiple times it may be damaged and oblong along the bearings to rock or turn inside the bell. They need to sit tight in the bell. Try replacing the bell and using GOOD bearings like the Avid Revolutions. 2. You have to run a loose, loose mesh. I always set mine so when you hold the clutch bell with your finger you can actually rock the spur gear back and forth and it will make a distinct clack clack sound. With the amount of flex the car has you need extra play or you will be driving the crankshaft and clutch bell into the spur gear with every jump and turn of the car. If you think you have enough play in your mesh because you understand gear mesh, Then run More than you normally would and it should work. 3. No The Losi 4 shoe setup is Aw some. Its easy to work on, easy to fine tune, it doesn't suck at all. I run 4 maxlifes with 2 gold and 2 silver and they last a months worth of racing. Or I run 2 Carbons 2 maxlifes with 2 gold 2 silvers. Good luck.