R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/8 8ight E 4wd Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 11:48 PM
az00lude
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godzila
Ran my Losi 8IGHT E Today and it ran well. We run 6 minute qualifiers, which I had no problem. The first run I ran the 16 tooth pinion temp was around 187, dropped to the 15 tooth and the temp dropped to 179, which I thought was good, ESC 125, battery 109. Had slightly more speed than the nitro cars and much more punch. I am also using the 5000mah Losi Lipo hard case pack. I went to run the main and ran for about for 4 minutes before the car lost much of its power. Brought the car in and temped the motor at 221 after only 4 minutes of running. Searched the entire drive train for the sign of a locked up bearing but found nothing. Tried my battery on a buddies 8ight E who is running the same setup and it worked fine. Put my motor in his car and it will barely get out of its own way. Not sure what caused the motor to heat up and loose power but I will be calling Losi first thing on Monday, I've got to get this issue squared away. I'm really excited about electric 1/8 though. Got the Fall Brawl in Myrtle Beach coming up quick and few more club races.

The motor probably uses the lowest grade of magnet which start demagnetizing at 80C or 176F. Cheap chinese motors use this grade.
If you go over that them, your motor may be toast.

It seems that Neu motor uses higher grade of magnets that can operate up to 100C or 212F

The highest quality magnet can operate up to 220C or 428 F