R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM
BoneCrusher
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Help please!

Hi Tony Gray of RC-Mini.net or anyone who can help.

Just wanted to thank RC-Mini.net for the instructions on converting a FWD Swift into a RWD Swift. Took about 4 hours to do the conversion. Ran it in our little track and it handled pretty good. Finished the night winning the B Main.

Maybe it is trying to learn a new driving style (never worked on or driven a RWD Swift before) but I am having turning and traction problems mainly. I’m using stock everything including shocks (friction dampers) included in the kit. I find that the car is not turning as well as I would like. Even with the servo endpoints set to max and D/R set to 100%, turning is best when not on throttle. Happy with no traction roll at all! Also, when coming off a corner and then gunning it to full acceleration, the car seems to skip or rattle like the wheels aren’t totally gripped to the ground. My tires are pretty wore right now but I think I have S-grips in the front and M-Grips in the rear. What advice can you give me and specifically, if I’ve only got the Tamiya type tires (A, S and M grips) what’s the best combo you would recommend. We also use Nifttech traction compound here. I’m actually quite surprised that the car is running just as fast as a regular FWD Swift (unless someone is using a cheater motor – we run Silver can only here) on the straight away cause the motor is now running in reverse polarity.

Just wondering also, is it possible to use a 21T pinion? Haven’t tried it yet cause I don’t want to mess up the gears but I was told the RWD kits come with a 21T pinion. We’re all just having fun at the club so no one has a problem with my little experiment. Incidentally, putting touring car rubber tires on the RWD Swift with traction compound make the car super fast!!!

Thanks Toni and the rest of the crew of RC-Mini.net!