R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya DF-03 type
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 04:30 PM
tom_chang79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pgeldz
Tom, can you try your 5700 from the B44 in the DF03 just for fitment, and let us know if there is room to move it back and forth? This way we could see if it's something common, or just an anomoly with Jon's car. I'm thinking maybe Castle changed where those screws are on the circumference of the can perhaps, and that's what is preventing Jon's 5700 from moving back and forth in the slot?
It's an inherent design flaw of the motor bay and not really on the motor. I experienced the same issue yesterday when I finally received my Mamba Max + 4600kV motor. It's a real tight fit, and there's two ways to tackle it. As Jon said, you can either rotate the motor so the wires exits towards the rear and pull it around to give it a hard turn (away from the diff outdrive) or you can grind the little ribs that gives the tranny box somewhat rigidity...

Check out this page on oOple.com:

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/revie...wk/page06.html

After I had trouble with mine, I read Jimmy's comments on it, since I remember him fitting a 5700 motor in his Keen Hawk...

If you choose not to grind down the ribs, you'll have to use a larger spur, since I have a 78T spur, and even my 20T pinion on the motor isn't fitting. I think I"ll have to take the spare 84T spur from my B44 (ream out the middle hole) and fit it into the DF-03...

RickyBobby/Animal: LOOKING GOOD! That KM conversion is real trick-looking! About the 4WD electronic mess, that's not that messy, it's quite common among ALL 4wd and i think the DF-03s are even more extreme since I've noticed that space is even more limited when you use the 3Racing carbon chassis. Looks like the KM chassis makes it just as tight!

For the hard-case LiPo, can someone please help pangRacer? I want to know about this too when I eventually transition to LiPo. On this same note, NiCd are not bad at all. Wish they had higher capacity NiCd. I think theoretically, the discharge rate of NiCd are higher then NiMH, but NiMH won in the capacity department...