R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - cleaning the hard places
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 05:15 PM
rcuser1508579
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by t0adman
I'm pretty sure "Innanets" is simply phonetic for "Internets", which is why he followed with "Serious business" as a sarcastic observation of all the bickering. Are we really so uptight the guy can't get away with a little phonetic slang on an RC forum?
At least someone caught it.

I picked up a cheap Craftsman compressor off Craigslist and use denatured alcohol to clean after racing. I feel pretty safe using the denatured alcohol b/c it won't rust anything, mostly because it dries in seconds. I find the alcohol loosens things up and the compressor blows it all over my garage (and off the buggy). I try not to blow anything directly into the bearings though.

My next step is to wipe and toothbrush WD-40 all over the car. I even coat the engine with it. If it gets a little thick I just wipe or blow it off. It gives everything a nice sheen and may or may not keep some of the dirt from adhering next time on the track. Either way it looks shiny and clean and makes me feel fast!

Every few races, as time permits, I do the real clean, which means taking it all apart and soaking, washing, scrubbing, dishwasher-ing (some parts), and gettin’ it clean as new.
Amen to the compressor/alcohol. Sometimes I'll wipe a little Tri_flow like you do with the WD because TF has teflon in it, and it does a pretty decent job shedding dirt/clay.