R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Best NiMH packs?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
JeromeK99
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Most club tracks follow ROAR rules somewhat loosely.. Like with LiPos.. our track will allow them and prefers they be at least hardcased. ROAR has a short list of "approved" hardcased packs...

I'm interested in learning more about the A123 packs.. there is a guy at our track that has some.. I will have to talk to him more..

There are a couple of problems I see with the A123 packs... first is the size... they don't fit correctly in many cars.. and second is the voltage... 6.6v is going to be dog slow for racing.. that would be like a 2 year old NiMh pack and they are only 2200mah.. so you'll be right on the edge for racing 6 min mains.

Again I see folks talking about LiPo currect capacity "C" rating... I have run everything from a 27t stock to 9turn mod. 4wd and even 3.5brushless with NiMh.. never had a concern with current draw.. I even run an Orion 4800 Lipo 15c pack with the hot mods.. still no problem.. as it may sound good.. i think it is really a "non-issue".. especially with offroad 1/10th scale...

My therory is that some folks have had some really crappy packs and just didn't know it.. just because they cost a lot and were good when first bought.. doesn't mean they remain that way..

Jerome