R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mazda Speed 6 Wing Question?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 06:45 PM
helibrian
Tech Fanatic

This is what Dale "the protoform guy" said about it;

"The slats in the wing have nothing to do with decreasing drag. They do however allow the boundry layer of air to "escape" thus bringing the "laminar flow" air to a lower level and better able to contact more of the surface area on the kicked-up part of the wing. The term Wing is a poorly chosen name that we all use. "Air deflector" describes it more accurately."

What this means in English is, that little kicked up section where the slots are to be cut (that section is actually called a slat, slots are the actual holes. his terminology is a bit off), pushes air up higher than the leading edge of the main part of the "air deflector" or wing. Theoretically this can actually create turbulent flow and a bit of a vacuum on the top side of the leading edge of the wing and doesn't allow the "laminar flow" to efficiently provide downforce over the full surface of the wing. The faster the car moves the higher the laminar flow is pushed (to a degree) and the more pronounced this effect becomes. Cutting slots in the slat eliminates most of this.

This makes for great theoretical discussion, but in a "real world" 1/10 scale situation the difference is so minimal you probably would never notice it. Don't get me wrong it's there but it's minimal. However, I'm sure if we wait long enough, someone will have a differing opinion.

I have noticed a lot of people are running those bodies and not cutting out the slots. You'll have to decide what you're comfortable with I guess.

Good luck.

Last edited by helibrian; 09-25-2008 at 04:45 PM.