R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which Tamiya chassis for Japan 23T class - TRF 416 or TB Evo 5 MS?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 AM
pgeldz
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by m3ndo5a
I have both kits....It depeneds on the Track size which kit I will run.

I will say that I run the same or quicker time with the 5MS.

The 5MS transition is much more quicker than the TRF416 and it can be a very direct with the trigger.

Its not ideal for 21/17/13.5 brushless motors due to the Aluminum plate makes it hard to put larger pinion gears on the kit. This can me be modded but the car is faster with a brush motor in terms gearing stock motors.

The 5MS is very rear grippy so one-way becomes very easy to drive once the tires get warm. I use a spool on my 5MS, because in the USA from what I understand rubbing is racing, one-ways don't like that no matter how much grip there is.

Go with the 5MS if you can find one for it is limited, Tamiya will always product a Belt Kit for their Team Racers. And as you saw and stated a the Shaft kit can run with belts them if not Beat'em.

It shouldn't take a Pro to show people a Shaft kit is just a competitive as a Belt.

Good luck
Sweet! I like the direct feel of the shaft drive, and if the 5MS is like you say which I'm sure it is, I think my driving style would suit it better.

If they change the club racing rules next season and allow hard case Lipo's and 19T motors, do you still think the 5MS would be good on a tarmac track with rubber tires, would the belt driven 416 be a better option at that point?

- Paulie