R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
bkspeedo
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rugrunner,

I could not figure out how to attached a PDF in a PM so I'm posting my Xray 007 setup here.

Make sure you use tires on asphalt that have not been run on carpet. For some reason the traction compounds used for carpet make the outer rubber harder or slick and the rear tires will not have enough traction. You can bring tires back by running them for a bit and cleaning the surface with Simple Green or Goof Off type products and then WD-40 and let sit for awhile. Make another practice run to help break them in. Before a Qual or Main apply WD-40 15 minutes or more before your run, wipe down just before race and you should have good traction. The same goes when your running on carpet. Jack Gripper the tires, or whatever compound your track allows, long before you start your race then wipe down before you run and let her rippppppppp.

This setup has been good for me so far. I'm usually the fastest or 2nd fastest car on the track each Wednesday among 9-14 cars. I would probably win more races if I would stop hitting stuff. But that's all part of racing.

This is just a guess, but I believe do to the speed of a Vintage and tires, the car is not quit as touchy on setup as a faster car with performance tires. I've made changes to this setup and in most cases have not seen much of a change in drive ability or speed. At a minimum it will be a place for you to start.

Good luck and have fun racing.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
t2_007-Carpet Vintage 21p5BL.pdf (447.6 KB, 170 views)