R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RB CONCEPT ENGINES
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
vladconnery
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercerc8
i just need to know what plug i should use. the only thing now is the glowplug issue. the motor still needs to be broken in. i have almost a gallon through it and its still pretty hard to turn it over by hand. i know my temps were to high(280) and it was a cool day! they say not to run jp pipes on it b/c they make it run hotter so i'm going to switch back to my 086 pipe and i'm going to use 25% instead of 30%. hopefully these changes can bring my temps in the 250-270 range. i know all motors run differently and that your not really suppose to tune by temp so i'm going to focus more on the performance tune and then see what temps i'm running. i think this mill likes to be around the 270 range.
I run RB6's for my plugs never thought about using anything else. Is the engine hard to turn over with the plug out after reaching temp? Otherwise with the plug in thats just compression not pinch and compression is a good thing. I experienced the same issues with the JP pipe in temps 260-280. I ditched the JP got an RB retuned to make bottom a lil rich and SHAZAAM. Temps fell to reasonable levels 220-250 after some good hard running. I use 20% and I don't think % is going to make alot of temp difference thats going to be tuning basically. Did you shim the head an additional .01 shim when you ran 30%?

What type of surface are you running on? If your running in the grass temps will be higher. Long speed runs make temps climb too. 270 I thought that in the begining also. Try to get it to run in the 250-250 range first. You can always lean out for some additional performance if needed. Once you get the temps to be steady at that range. However you should be finding good performance in this range. You have an S5 so it's a beast and it has it limits also. Make sure your expectations fall in line with what the engine can do. Keep in mind there should be 2 temps you operate at practice temp and racing temp. You dont's always need every bit of performance you can get. RB's are some really good engines take your time and you will find it will last a loooooooooong time unlike alot of other high dollar engines. That die after 6-8 gallons if that many. A RB treated right will get 10+ gallons. You will probally get tired of the engine before it gives out.