R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HACKER BRUSHLESS MOTORS
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 PM
bkspeedo
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm hoping someone out there with an engineering background in motors or someone from Hacker can explain \ clarify something for me.

I've done a lot of research on the internet and have yet to find a clear answer to why the Hacker motors have such a low Kv value but are faster then a Novak.

From everything I've found the Kv rating is the best indicator to how fast a motor will spin which should relate to MPH for an RC car.

If this is truly the case then how is it possible for a Hacker 13.5 motor to produce more speed then Novak. The Novak 13.5 has a Kv rating of 3300 rpm/v but only produces 195 watts and the Hacker is 2360 rpm/v at 370 watts. Again from what I've read the Hacker motor is more likely to maintain it's Kv rating under a high load where the Novak may start to drop off since it has a lower power rating. But on a large track with a long straight the Novak should win on speed. This is not what I'm experiencing however. I recently purchased a H13.5 and this motor is very fast compared to Novak. In fact, i was turning the same fast lap times as cars in the 10.5 class. The track we run on is 70'x110' asphalt.

I purchased this motor based on others that have run it and am very pleased so far. But it was hard making the decision because if you use the numbers and math Novak would be the logical choice.

Did Hacker just no report the proper Kv number or is there more to this puzzle then what I've been able to find through research on the internet?

A good explanation of how Kv and Watts relate to one another and how two motors with different Kv values could perform the same would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.