R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Touring cars maxed out
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Banshee8530
I like everything you guys say. You make excellent points. Let me be the devil's advocate for a minute and say this: Who of the elite racers are going to be willing to down grade in quality and performance to race with and get bashed by beginners? I for one think that a universal spec class sponsored by a national sanctioning body would be excellent for the hobby. I would put away all the high-end money-pit garbage for a bit of good competition that only a spec class can offer. But my experience with spec classes is that they only stay "spec" for so long.

I live in a small community in Wyoming where a viable RC club, let alone a quality hobby shop, are near impossible to establish. Everyone wants to run different classes, and all the experienced drivers(adults) want different races to seperate them from the beginners(kids). I now have to travel 3 hours to get to a decent carpet race with a good driver count.

I would like to place some of the blame on the RC industry itself for chasing the fad and loosing touch with the heart of the hobby, but I have to say also that I do enjoy the diversity of what is available.
Do I enjoy the complexity of touring cars?

Do I enjoy the high costs (even though I am sponsored)?

Do I enjoy the keeping up with technology and car setup in general?

If you answered NO to all 3 you are the same as me, it's time for a change in scale, or some spec racing.

Make it CHEAP, SLOWER and less TECHNICAL and people will come to your facility!!! If the car is cheaper you have less running costs, which can only equate to a happier bank balance and more money for gas to getting to new tracks... new faces and more track time!

For now, let the wealthy play with their "toy" car for just that bowling trophy gratification... I stopped liking sedan when brushless motors/esc's came into effect, buy it (and with that additional power came more tyres and wear on the car) or step out the ring....

Question: Where is the stability of rules and cost in sedan?

Answer: there never was one in traditional sedan racing until spec/trans am classes came about.

I have a brand new, built 3 months ago TRF415MSXX sitting at home, do I feel inclined to race it? Part of me says no as soon we'll have something else to power our cars, what will it be next- wind turbines and solar power???

Ok.... I'm off my rant stool now guys