R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - RB Concept S3,S5 or Novarossi N21B
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
vladconnery
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brianr34
I was considering buying a new RB concept engine based on their durability and performance. I would be using the engine on a buggy on an indoor track.

Would the S3 have good enough performance or should I get the S5?

Would a Dynamite 086 pipe be a good pipe to use on either of these engines.

I was also considering a Novarossi N21B engine. How does this engine compare to the S3 and S5? My main concern with the N21B, is it has a metal carb.
I run the S3 it is an excellent engine. If you are a rookie it is perfect ease of tuning holds a tune like it's in a vise. Has outstanding bottom end and mids. I actually geared mine up for more top end. Run a RB pipe generally speaking best pipes for most engines is the one thats made for them. I run the 2045 it is a great performer. Started out running the JP2 and maybe it was me but it seemed to make the engine run hot. If you visit RB's website they will tell you JP's are not the best pipe for the RB. They have a tendancy to make the engine run hotter. Even if your a vet you will find this engine to be more than adequate and not to mention it's an RB they are quality.

Main drawback that I found was that the break in process actually took about a Gallon +. However when it finally was broke Daaaammnnn she flew. I am approaching the 6 Gallon mark and this engine is still screaming. I followed the manufactures breakin guide worked excellent for me. I dont want to get into a heat cyclying vs other methods.

If you happen to get one remember get the bottom end tuned 1st. It should load up after 10-20 seconds. keep the bottom on the rich side. Onec you do this you can basically call your temp by leaning or richening the hsn. Can guess my temp with in 5 degrees. Dang I love this engine.

Before any nay sayers jump in there are other good engines out there. I just found this one to perform with ease.