R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Speyederjedi
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by British Menace
Again I hear about "issues" with the G4.

Stripping gears, Spurs, Chassis tweeking or poor machining work. Recievers dying due to it's placement.etc

In all the years I've had a G4, (since the very first one came out!) I've had very few issues indeed. I have only stripped 2 spurs, Chassis have only ever tweeked when I crashed the car
I have been through one reciever, but it was 3 years old and used in 3 vehicles.
I did break the front Layshaft on the ED transmission which others have also done.

I've ran belts for long time without teeth going or snapping. I ran the same side belt I think for 4 years of racing. Might have been longer then that. Only recently having thrown it in the bin.

I've found the car very durable. So much so my expendature on parts, especially this year, has been VERY low.

Now, I'm not the best driver in the world and I am known for driving very smooth and I'm not very hard on my cars. (possibly why I'm not as fast as I could be??!)
I'm also a bit of a maintenance freak on these things But even so.
All this talk of breakdowns, failures not only with the TM G4 but with other brands too, just makes me wonder.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
British Menace
Don't know about the G4 but the RS definately has issues with the pinion/spur gears. Like you I am a very smooth driver and rarely crash my car. I have bodies from 6 months ago that are still in good shape and I still use from time to time so it's not a matter of me abusing the equipment. We race here just about every weekend. The servos in the car I've had for over a year and they're still like new. As far as the chassis, it's not "Tweaked". I have checked it on a smooth level flat plate of glass. The issue with the chassis is that a large piece of aluminum chipped where the engine mount slots are. I have never had this issue with any other manufacturers kit. I use thread lock when I mount my engine to the motor mounts and then again when I mount to the chassis. When I removed the motor to do a regualr cleaning all the mounting screws were still tight so I was puzzled as to how the chassis chipped. If the motor had been loose I would have chalked that up to a bonehead error on my part for night properly tightening the engine down but it wasn't. I had raced that previous day through 3 qualifiers and 1 main and the motor was locked down in place. Like you I am also very meticulous when it comes to my equipment . My cars look like they've never been raced. I replace parts if they look even close to failing and after each outing at the track I clean my car down to the last spec of grit and grime. So finding a piece of your chassis missing after racing all day and never having crashed is quite a bit upsetting to say the least.

Just wanted to clarify.