R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Problem with Mugen MR-12
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 06:24 PM
modellor
Tech Master

Originally posted by Manticore
well, it is no fun to make things last just because they are expensive. but i do think modeller has some secret magic to make things last !! i wonder if he would like to share his secret with us.
Sure. Here in Ireland we have magic leprechauns and heeling wells. They seem to work wonders on our RC equipment too. . But joking aside, the real secret is how you maintain your equipment. Treat them like kids and they will repay you. Charge your batteries using correct methods (not fancy chargers but instead try using a transformer linked through a 40W bulb). Thoroughly clean your car after each run and regrease anything that moves. Take apart servos maybe once per month and regrease the gears. Silly things like this go a long way to longer life.
As for engines, tune them correct and break them in properly and they will last longer than you think. They can be more resilient than most people realise. Only take enough power out of them to be competitive at any given race and always keep the rest in reserve.

Thats my secret.