R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hpi Pro 4
Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 09:04 AM
scootr117
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Andysan
I am in dire need of help with my HPI Pr 4 please!

I have 2x Pro 4's, both running fine until about 2 months ago. When i race i hear a crunching from the front gearbox. The gears didn't look noticeably worn, but i replaced them anyhow. The same thing happeneed the next race.

Not having the time to spend on maintenance i switched to the spare car, but this is now doing the same thing. The sound is akin to human teeth rattling inside a box, but is only once every rotation of the wheels, particularly when the car leans around corners.

I am running one ways in both cars (i know they are bad for wear) and have so far replaced the one ways with new one ways and also regular diffs. I have replaced both gears numerous times with new ones (the revised type, meshed as instructed in the Hara ed manual), and also the bearings and layshaft. I have also altered the shimming but to no avail.

Tonight i rested the gears in another gearbox casing and turned them very slowly - they move fine up until an arbitrary point where they lock up very tight and wont budge, akin with he sound i hear once every turn. The lock appears random however, and i am not able to identify and mashed teeth on the gears or other parts that are misbehaving.

Could it be the gearbox casing sperhaps - i don't think it is because i have tried it on a different old casing that i had no problms with in the past.

I have made no changes to the cars - the only change is the introduction of rubber hosing at my track instead of plastic, but i don't think this is related (i don't crash allot).

Could somebody please ofer any help or advice to solve this problem, and general help in meshing my gears which i seem a bit crap at? I am only running a 27t, i don't think i should be getting these problems, especially to both cars at the same time.

Many thanks in advance!
Since the problem started then parts were changed I wouldn't say the shimming was the problem. I'd check the pinion gear shaft. During an impact the drive shaft tranfers force to these and can cause them to bend. This will show as a tight spot in the gears' backlash (mesh)