R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hot Rod Hobbies -ROAR NATS
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Dawn Sanchez
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brandon Rohde
Scott, please get the facts before you post dumb comments like this. The second the site went down, Canyon let me know and I was working on it right away, even foregoing needed work on my cars like mounting fresh tires. A sector of the hard drive went bad, and it was out of my hands to fix. All I could do is call our data center and request immediate service to have our backup drive put in place. Considering the issue, the 75 minute downtime could have been worse. Audio and video never stopped unless you closed the window because they are on a different server.

I know things are not flawless, but I am doing everything possible to improve it at every race. Only 2 races this year have had issues out of the 18 races we covered, so to say it always happens isn't true. We have never had the same issue happen twice. While I would love to have 5 times the server power and redundancy, unless I charge $250 a person this is not yet feasible. For the worlds, there will be no expenses spared so we should be OK for that. In the meantime, we are doing everything we can to keep things going as smoothly as possible.

The reason we could not go live before Friday is because the cameras we had shipped to the ROAR Oval Nationals did not arrive back to Hot Rod Hobbies until Thursday afternoon, so by the time they were mounted and hooked up practice was over with.

To all those who have posted the nice comments, thank you very much for the support and kind words. It goes a long way to hear that after reading comments like the one above.

Congrats to Ryan, Ryan and Dakotah for another awesome performance!
This is true. The equipment from the Paved Oval Nats was packaged and ready to ship for arrival no later than 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday but for some reason either UPS took an additional day or the package wasn't picked up as requested.

Brandon did not receive the equipment until Thursday afternoon. There was no time to set up everything for controlled practice on Thursday.

The server crash was unfortunate but these things do happen. Brandon was notified by me in a text and I asked Canyon to personally tell him the system was down.

The coverage of the event was as good as it could be with the limited air coverage and one air card. There were three cameras (to my knowledge) set up and the staff inside the timing tower was able to switch angles when they could. When Brandon was finished racing for the day on Sunday, he was able to set up the system to track leaders which made for awesome viewing of the AAA mains.

Please all, understand, computers are not perfect and the system of LiveRC is an original and we are grateful to have access to it at ROAR Nationals. Without it, we would all be waiting to the next day to read results.

Brandon, thank you for your work and the use of the equipment at this event. I can't wait to see what Worlds is like!!

Dawn Sanchez
ROAR President