R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - how to build a rock crawler
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
shurcooL
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mack_Mechanic
depends on your motor and gearing.But on average I would say maybe 5-10 mph tops.They are not straight line beasts,low gears and torque are key in crawling.You could build a rock racer and get alittle more speed than a dedicated crawler but you would sacrifice some crawling ability.
Ok, thanks a lot for answering.

I haven't been able to find the answer to that question anywhere for the last year or so I've been into RC cars. Though I never asked it specifically.

The reason I asked is because I'm somewhat interested in crawlers, but I can see now that a competition crawler rig is not for me. What I'd really like is more of a general "4wd off-road truck" with locked diffs, something that can do a *little* crawling, such as in a forest, etc. but can also run on-road. Basically, a vehicle that can go anywhere (or as close as possible to it).

It seems the comp crawlers are too good at their specific target goal, so good, that they can't be run on simple paved surfaces, hehe.

An off-road truck with a 20~ mph top speed would be more up to it, as I'd like to have it able to lose traction/drift/throw dirt around, not just crawl over rocks at 1 mph (mostly because I don't have any rocks that a real crawler would require nearby).

I think Tamiya had some really nice 1/10 4wd trucks like that, based on the CC-01/XC chassis (Volkswagen Touareg, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc.), but they've all been discontinued and are impossible to get... Hmm, when looking up the above info again, I found there's some sort of a new re-release of the Tamiya Mitsubishi Pajero. That's interesting.

P.S. I know about the Tamiya Ford F-350 4x4 High Lift kit, but I don't like it. And it's waaay too expensive.

Last edited by shurcooL; 08-13-2008 at 10:44 AM.