R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 PM
mike_perrier
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Dirt Oval Motor Recommendations

Hello to all. I searched the forum's for a similar topic but could not find one so I hope this topic has not been beaten to the ground several 100 times

For some background on the track I run on - it is roughly 225 ft around the center and the straights are about 80ft. Nice sweeping corners with roughly 10-20 degree banking. Usually the first 2 heats are bone dry, 3rd heat is moist, and the main is tacky. No clay in the dirt.

Currently I am using the Ofna GTP chassis with a Picco P3-28. The P3 is about on it's last leg but it has been a very powerful motor. I'm the only one at my local track that uses the motor and can pull almost anyone down the straights. However, even after I fixed air leaks at the base of the carb and around the backplate, it always runs hot while tuned to almost run out of gas after a 4 minute race (refueling 30 seconds to green).

While I have enjoyed my P3-28, I am looking for something a little smaller that is better on gas mileage but still has decent power. My brother runs a Sportwerks .26 and has had really good luck with it. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping down to a .21 or .18 as long as it has a strong power curve.

What motors would you all recommend?