R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
CanyonCarverR1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I looked on the 3Racing site and didn't see a pulley set for the S400, so you happen to have a part number or a site that carries it?
As far as the internal ratio is concerned, I agree that it offers a different spectrum of gearing options. However, I don't buy the idea that it will accelerate better, that is a function of the internal ratio and the pinion/spur combination (final drive ratio = FDR). A 5:1FDR is a 5:1FDR no matter what the internal ratio is.

Originally Posted by TeamButter
Hey guys,

I have been running the 1.944444444 (LOL) ratio for several months now. I happen to use the 3racing pulley set which comes with a 16,17 and 18 tooth. I had some custom belts made for the car so I can't comment on what existing belts to use.

Canyon-Changing the internal ratio allows you to have a different spectrum of gearing options. Using a taller 1.944 you don't have to run a 60 tooth pinion with a brushless motor in order to reach your desired gearing.

Some argue the car will accelerate out of corners with a lower internal, but I find the difference to be negligable. The math says a lower gear comes out of the corners faster, but you will hear conflicting reports.

Overdrive is a term used to indicate that the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear. With your front wheels spinning faster than your rear wheels, the car will seemingly have more steering.