R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What radio upgrade would you reccomend and why?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Furadi
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Granted, there are a lot of different opinions out there...

That's exactly what we are talking about here. I had (ok, still have but don't use) a DX2. It doesn't have exponential adjustments, nor do I believe it has speed adjustments. Just endpoints... Those are 2 nice tools to improve your control of the car... (or crutches, if you wish to call them that... but exponential on steering can tame a twitchy car to a certain extent... and speed adjustment on throttle can help make you smoother...)

You don't HAVE to buy the latest and greatest. Just look for the features you need. I suggest:

1) Exponential on both throttle and steering
2) Speed adjustment on both throttle and steering. (NO, that is not the same as exponential!)

Spektrum is nice, but not mandatory... most decent radios can be upgraded to spektrum, and some can be bought with it. I'm not going to recommend any specific radio... I run an old M8 that I bought used and it works just fine... and I run the Spektrum module and the receiver that came with my DX2. There are lot of good radios out there... get something that has the features you want, in your price range, and that feels decent in your hand.

As for light weight... my M8 is heavy, but I don't even notice when I'm driving. Your opinion on that may differ.
Thx, that's the kind of info I was looking for. So what does speed adjustment do for throttle and steering?