R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2008 INTERNATIONAL INDOOR CHAMPIONSHIPS "IIC" LAS VEGAS
Old 08-08-2008, 12:18 AM
syndr0me
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Warmed batteries won't necessarily show a higher resting voltage, but will hold a higher voltage under load. It might be worth considering teching the temp of the battery somehow. Disallowing the relatively safe heating of packs with an external source is understandable, but without heat tech, people will find an advantage in discharging at 35A and then immediately charging the packs back up at 12A, as this appears to hold in heat. This is detrimental to the longevity of the battery, and potentially very dangerous. The technique was pioneered by one of the event sponsors (SMC) and outlined in detail in their thread on this forum. This ruling seems to discourage the safe way of heating packs, and encourage the much more dangerous way.

Sorry to bring up a controversial issue, I know nobody likes to hear about this stuff. I don't mean this as a complaint about the ruling, just a bit of concern in general. Thanks for your consideration.