R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MTX-3
Thread: Mugen MTX-3
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Corse-R
Tech Elite

Default Re: what oil?? (Fuels and some tricks).

Originally posted by JustRace
Corse...8% oil?? Are you mixing your own fuel? What oil are you using and do you add castor to the mix?
Yep. I mix my own fuel. Went scated many times with strange fuels and decided to make my own fuel. The recipe is easy, take note:

For one litre at 8% oil (16% nitro):
- 60cc of Castor (Klotz Benol).
- 20cc of Synthetic (Klotz Original techniplate).
- 160cc of Nitromethane.
- 760cc of Methanol.

For one litre at 11% oil (16% nitro):
- 80cc of Castor
- 30cc of Synthetic
- 160cc of Nitromethane.
- 730cc of Methanol.

If you see I use much more Castor than is normally used on commercial fuels. Castor is the unique who saves your engine from a ugly breakage when whining at more than 35Krpms. The 'unique' tradeoff of this is a little more residues on your exhaust and the piston (easily cleaned).

Just some warning about this. Those mixes aren't suitable for winter (or when temps goes down 15ºC). Castor at low temperatures doesn't work very well and needs some help from Synthetic oil.

To make them more 'cold friendly', just substract a 2% of Castor and add an additional 2% of Synth to the 8% mix and the same for the 11% mix. Works really really well, honest.

Those oil percentages are for mix from 16 to 25%. If you want to go at 30%, probably need a little more oil (add 1% of more synthetic oil to those figures). Those mix gives you much more Nitro and Methanol into your chamber than commercial fuels, so more bang in your engine, take care.

Another 'Warning'... if you go at 8% oil, you're slightly under what Novarrosi advises for their engines (they want a 10% oil, and this fuel requires to have a serious grasp doing carb adjustments) and probably P/S life is sligtly reduced, but the last time I did more than 15 litres over the piston with those fuel and then P/S went for practice and playing.

We're completely off-topic here. If you want to talk about fuels, let's make another thread.